Monday, February 4, 2013

Theory of Computing - Introduction

While I have come across many good resources explaining different aspects of computing, and I'm sure there are more I haven't come across, I have yet to find a clear explanation that is both comprehensive and not filled with too much jargon for the lay person to understand. That is the goal I am aiming for with this (relatively short) series and we'll see how close I get to it.

To break it down by topic, we'll start with:

  1. The Hardware.
  2. The Software.
  3. The Operating System.
  4. Networking.
  5. Mobile Computing.



Non-Standard Disclaimer:
(aka Surgeon General’s Warning for Pedantic Nitpickers)

The goal of this project is to concisely explain computing in theory, and somewhat, in practice. As such, be warned, there maybe things that are imprecise, misleading, that you consider to be inaccurate, or that actually are inaccurate.

However, ranting about it won't help because I'm not actually listening. What you should do instead is write your own response, publish it on your own web page and hope that people pay attention to whatever your “correct” information is instead of my “hopelessly muddled” version.